Running SVGALib programs from X Windows

Search this archive.

From: James Wright (james@jigsawdezign.com)
Date: Wed 10 Jul 2002 - 14:48:28 IDT

Hello,

   I`ve just installed SVGALib 1.9.15 over my existing 1.4.3 version, as I really like the idea of
having the /dev/svga device to allow normal users to run SVGA programs without becoming root or
setting the program to SUID root. Everything seems ok, and I have recompiled all my graphics
libs with no real problems. I have setup the /dev/svga and /dev/console devices to be owned by a
group called "video". I have placed my normal user ID into this group, and this works fine, except
that when I try and launch a program from X Windows I get the following error:

JDraw - Initialising Video.                            <<--  my own gfx lib debug message
Not running in a graphics capable console,             <<--  Seems like it can`t create a new VC?
and unable to find one.
Using nvidia driver, 32768KB, Type: GeForce (NV11).
Not running in a graphics capable console,
and unable to find one.
svgalib 1.9.15
svgalib: Failed to initialize mouse.                  <<--- I know whats wrong with this.
Not running in a graphics capable console,
and unable to find one.

Thanks,
James