Re: Running SVGALib programs from X Windows

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Wed 10 Jul 2002 - 18:28:27 IDT

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, James Wright wrote:

> Yeah, I guess that because I`m no longer running it as root, it
> doesn`t have permissions to create or use the virtual console (which
> I used to access via Alt + F8).

Correct, this is the exact problem.
Svgalib needs (or needed) root for at least:

1- direct access to video hardware
2- mouse
3- opening a new vt

For problem 1, there is the new device, problem 2 is only a problem of
permission on the /dev/mouse device node. Problem 3 can also be solved
in a similar matter (permission on /dev/tty8), but it might not be a
good solution. It is possible that the first free console might not
always be 8.
Other solutions might be requiring suid root for binaries that will run
from X, or adding code to the kernel module to support allocating new
VT.

I don't like any of these solutions, so if anyone has a better idea,
please come forward with it.