Re: Running SVGALib programs from X Windows

Search this archive.

From: Bart Oldeman (Bart.Oldeman@bristol.ac.uk)
Date: Wed 10 Jul 2002 - 19:08:43 IDT

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Matan Ziv-Av wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, James Wright wrote:
>
> > Yeah, I guess that because I`m no longer running it as root, it
> > doesn`t have permissions to create or use the virtual console (which
> > I used to access via Alt + F8).
>
> Correct, this is the exact problem.
> Svgalib needs (or needed) root for at least:

> 3- opening a new vt
>
> Other solutions might be requiring suid root for binaries that will run
> from X, or adding code to the kernel module to support allocating new
> VT.
>
> I don't like any of these solutions, so if anyone has a better idea,
> please come forward with it.

You could make chvt(1) suid-root and restrict executable access to a
certain group (console, audio, svgalib, whatever group a user at the
console is usually a member of).
-rwsr-x---    1 root     svgalib        4972 Sep 20  2001 /bin/chvt
Then the svgalib app can fork/exec chvt.

Maybe this is not what you had in mind either but it gets the job done.

Bart