Re: TTF fonts

Search this archive.

From: Jay Link (jlink@interlink-bbs.com)
Date: Mon 14 Feb 2000 - 14:33:24 IST

> Experts on the widely-read linux-svgalib mailing list today suggested
> that TrueType fonts should be available in a single standard
> directory. A spokesman claimed that to think otherwise would be "kind
> of silly".

Ouch! Well, f*ck _me_, then. Don't forget that TrueType was first
developed by Apple, so it's already cross-platform (to some degree).

> Seriously, I think a better idea is to have a standard location (or,
> more likely, hierarchy) for fonts of *all* types. We'd certainly want
> to include Type 1 fonts, for example (commonly used by both X and
> ghostscript, at least). And it's all rather meaningless unless there's
> a) a standard set of free fonts you can be `sure' are going to be
> there (the URW Type 1 fonts spring to mind), and b) mention of it in a
> more appropriate forum.

You perhaps could have sufficed with this paragraph.

Ok, look -- we already have directories like this:

  /usr/lib/kbd/consolefonts
  /usr/share/groff/font
  /usr/lib/ghostscript/fonts
  /usr/x11R6/lib/fonts

Would it not make sense to have something for TTF fonts, since AFAIK
there's nothing currently in place? That's all I was saying. If we had
come to some consensus, then we could have promoted the idea elsewhere.

If you feel that having a TTF directory is an inherent rip-off of M$, then
programs that use TTF fonts can just include the fonts in the source
tarball. I was hoping to avoid 10+ programs that all included Arial, but
maybe that's what'll have to happen.

If you want an all-encompassing fonts hierarchy, with perhaps links to the
aforementioned directories, then that would be a good idea, too.

We all appreciate your efforts with zgv, but that doesn't give you free
reign to lambast legitimate posts. Where is your sarcastic wit when
people keep asking the same questions about setuid root?  :)  I don't want
to be at odds with you, but I think your last post was a bit excessive.

-J