Re: svgalib/ggi

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Sun 13 Feb 2000 - 21:32:38 IST

On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, ghazanhaider wrote:

> what is exactly the difference between ggi and svgalib? what is
> svgalib's equivalent in DJGPP and is there an svgalib (for CGA or MDA)
> for ELKS??

About ggi - look at the svgalib faq that is distributed in the svgalib
package (Q7).

About djgpp - I don't think there is an equivalent. Much of the
complication in svgalib is in virtual console coherency and background
execution, which is irrelevant in dos.

About cga and mda cards, svgalib has no support for them. It does not
make sense to add support, as no current svgalib program will work,
since svgalib has no 2 bit color modes. If you design a library for
console graphics on CGA, it might make sense to have an API similar to
svgalib, to facilitate porting of programs (such as ghostscript,
tmview).