Re: Banshee Support with SVGALIB?

Search this archive.

From: G. Gregory (ggregory@bitbox.co.uk)
Date: Tue 02 Mar 1999 - 17:09:30 IST

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Dr. Michael Weller wrote:

> As far as I know the Voodoo/3dfx based/style boards they are basically a
> plain SVGA card plus a Voodoo card. Both are completely independent. If
> A Voodoo mode is used, the video signal of the SVGA is simply ignored and
> and internal monitor switch switches to the Voodoo which is an own stand
> alone graphics card (and AFAIK only capable of relatively few screen
> resolutions in comparision to the SVGA).

THe Voodoo 1 and 2 works like this, Banshee is a full combo 2d/3d and they
are intertwined. Its all one chip on board and the 3d uses same
framebuffer as the 2d. Hence windowed opengl and other such stuff.
It makes sense for SVGAlib to support Banshee 2d stuff.

Graeme

--
Graeme Gregory                          | "god is a number you cannot
ggregory@bitbox.co.uk                   | count to, you are posthuman