SVGALIB 1.4.3 with ATI-Rage XL

Search this archive.

From: Trey Kazee (treykazee@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri 18 Apr 2003 - 18:59:54 IDT

Hello,

I've been using SVGALIB for some time now with great
success, but now have a need to move my application to
a newer piece of hardware than I've used before.

I'm using SVGALIB 1.4.3 under Redhat 8.0, with an
integrated ATI-Rage XL (8M) card.  SVGALIB built fine
(with a few superficial mods for libstdc++v3).  My
application runs at one of two resolutions (no
switching during runtime), decided before execution
and specified using the environment variable
SVGALIB_DEFAULT_MODE... either 1280x1024x256, or
640x480x256.

The funny thing is that it works great for
1280x1024x256, but not 640x480x256.  The lower
resolution appears to struggle with sync, and objects
(text, for instance) flicker between 2 horizontal
positions.  As a test, I tried 800x600x256... it
looked great for about 2 seconds, then loses sync and
flickers around just like the 640x480x256 case.
1024x768x256 looks great.

So, it seems as if anything under 1024x768x256
struggles with sync.  I would appreciate any helpful
tips anyone could suggest!

Thanks in advance.

regards,

trey