Incorporating Cirrus 7543 driver code into SVGA lib

Search this archive.

From: Marc E. Fiuczynski (mef@cs.washington.edu)
Date: Sat 09 Nov 2002 - 04:42:03 IST

Recently I purchased 4 Compaq LTE 5000 series laptops from Ebay with the
purpose of rebuilding them into digital picture frames. If you skim
slashdot, you've probably seen someone do this with an Apple Powerbook 280c
with some hotglue. ;) The laptops only come with 8MB of memory, and after
some wrangling with a number of web browsers as possible clients to run the
picture frame, I've come to realize that I must use something FAR smaller.

svgalib + zgv seem like the right solution. Now to the question the list has
likely been asked too often: has support for the Cirrus 7543 been added
lately? I've searched the mailing list archives, I've used google on news
groups and the web, and I've peeked into the source release of both svgalib
1.4.x and 1.9.x source release. It seems that I am out of luck, but I wanted
to check in with you first before I go about adding support myself.

XFree86 3.3.6 has support for this chipset, as I have used it on the
previously mentioned laptops and even peeked a bit at the code. I would be
willing to attempt porting the code from XFree86. It seems that I could just
merge the 7543 support directly into svgalib. Unforunately, I have not been
able to locate a spec doc. for the Cirrus 7543 on the net. Anyone know where
I might find that?

Thanks,
Marc