Re: HorizSync on laptop LCD

Search this archive.

From: Glyn (glyn.kennington@hertford.oxford.ac.uk)
Date: Fri 16 Aug 2002 - 11:25:04 IDT

Matan Ziv-Av wrote:
> It is possible that the vertical limit is the problem. At 31-35 kHz,
> svgalib uses 640x480 at 60 Hz. At 31-48.3 KHz, svgalib uses 640x480 at
> 72 Hz, and 1024x768 at 60Hz. If your LCD is limited to (for
> example) 55-65 Hz, this explains what you see. Setting
> VertRefresh 55 65
> Will force svgalib to use 640x480@60Hz, even with the wider horizontal
> range. It is best to take the numbers from your screen's documentation,
> rather than trying to guess them.

(Documentation?  LOL.  This is a second-hand laptop.)

I checked my XF86Config modelines, and their values were all within the
55-65 range, so I tried that, and it now works.  Thankyou.

There's now some modes not behaving as expected, though (for example,
the scrolltest demo hangs the machine).  I'm willing to hack around with
them to get them to work, but is there some way I can temporarily
disable them, either at compile time, or by an entry in libvga.config?

Glyn

--
-Glyn, do you do pills?
-No, I hate lager.