Re: 69000 and 030 support

Search this archive.

From: Richard A. Smith (rsmith@bitworks.com)
Date: Wed 26 Jun 2002 - 18:23:22 IDT

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:30:32 +0300 (IDT), Matan Ziv-Av wrote:

> > I tested stable and developement with the 69030 and they both freak
> > the video card out.The only way to recover is to reboot.Even
> > SVGATextMode 80x25 dosen't fix things.
>
> Usually mode3 and/or vga_reset can solve those problems without reboot.

Indeed. mode3 does recover. Thanks.

vga_reset shows my bios reset screen but then leaves it such that
mode3 won't recover.

> > and one for the LCD.You can have 2 seperate screens as long as one
> > is CRT and the other an LCD.
>
> I don't know about the 69030, but in most chipsets which have something
> like this the main CRT is programmed as in older chipsets, so you can
> treat the card as it's older counterpart, losing the ability to use the
> LCD port. This works for matrox, nvidia, ati cards. Maybe C&T chose to
> have a completely different programming interface for their newer chip.

I believe that all the CRTC registers are the same but theres some
other additional stuff you have to muck with as well.

Further testing shows that modes 5,6,7,8,9 work but any thing higher
than that dosen't.

The early 4.0.x X windows driver had a the same issues.  Apparently
if you setup the video BIOS on the 69030 to force both rendering
pipes to operate the same.  Then it would work.  I never was able to
make it work but I didn't spend more than an hour or so messing with
the settings.

According to the X windows maintainer to fully support the 69030 the
driver needed pretty large mods.  Enough that he held off till a
later release of X to add them.  4.2 claims to support the 030 and
both its pipelines.  I haven't actually tested 4.2.x yet though since
there is some sort of bug with chips and the mouse driver that you
have to disable acceleration.

> > I suspect that this difference is causing the problems.Is there
> > some debugging info I can enable that might help sort this out?
>
> Not without learning the source of the chips.c driver.

The source lists several people who have hacked on the driver.
dbateman is one of the X windows chips mainatiners so I guess he
would be a good guy to talk to.  Is there a specific maintainer that
I should be talking to?

--
Richard A. Smith                         Bitworks, Inc.
rsmith@bitworks.com               479.846.5777 x104