Picture viewing library

Search this archive.

From: Jay Link (jlink@ilbbs.com)
Date: Thu 11 Apr 2002 - 02:04:52 IDT

Ok, guys:

It's clear to me that SVGAlib needs its own graphic file / picture viewing
capabilities, perhaps as an additional add-in library such as vgagl or the
threeDKit.

This has got to be one of the #1 requests that people have. We need, at a
minimum, the ability to read & write .GIFs, .JPGs, and 24-bit .BMPs.
Others would be nice, but not essential to start.

Sure, there exist libraries such as libLUG that already do this, but
several versions exist, they're inconsistent, and many people have trouble
with them. This has to be simple & straight forward.

Russell, you've already got a lot of these major formats built into zgv.
Would you be willing to contribute? Alternately, could we just hack some
of your code?

I think this is going to be my project for this summer (for those of you
in the Northern hemisphere). Would anyone care to participate? I accept
any and all suggestions, and I think this could be working in a matter of
weeks.

Best,

-Jay Link