Re: Picture viewing library

Search this archive.

From: Russell Marks (russell.marks@ntlworld.com)
Date: Fri 12 Apr 2002 - 17:19:21 IDT

Jay Link <jlink@ilbbs.com> wrote:

> It's clear to me that SVGAlib needs its own graphic file / picture viewing
> capabilities, perhaps as an additional add-in library such as vgagl or the
> threeDKit.

I don't think this is a very good idea; I think any picture-reading
library should be separate, and not tied to svgalib or any other
`display' library. Ok, maybe it could be written/maintained by
svgalib-friendly folks :-), that kind of thing, but separately. IMHO.

> Russell, you've already got a lot of these major formats built into zgv.
> Would you be willing to contribute? Alternately, could we just hack some
> of your code?

This isn't really something I'm terribly interested in working on, to
be honest, but I'd be happy for my code to be reused/hacked/etc. where
it's useful. (I'm also willing to consider alternative licences if GPL
isn't suitable, but I can't do that for the BMP code since I didn't
write all of it (not even close).)

xzgv might be worth looking at, BTW - it doesn't read as many formats
itself, but the code is generally not quite as unpleasant.

-Rus.