svgalib vs fbdev

Search this archive.

From: Steven Seeger (sseeger@stellartec.com)
Date: Wed 10 Apr 2002 - 17:24:26 IDT

I had to put a demo together on an Accelent StrongARM IDP over the weekend.
I could not get SVGALib to work with the lcd screen's kernel FB driver
despite everything. I debugged it and saw that SVGALib would crash the
graphics hardware when trying to save or restore SVGA regs. Taking all those
calls out didn't help, so I ended up writing my own code to work directly
with /dev/fb0 and that worked fine.

Then I got to wondering if that might be faster than using svgalib. I do
most of the writing with memset and memcpy, and implemented my own double
buffering technique and all that fun stuff. Would minimal code talking to
/dev/fb0 using things like memcpy which use the rep/sz opcode be faster than
having additional overhead involved with SVGALib and the GL lib? Or, am I
better off with SVGALib using a PC-104 with a C&T driver on it because it
supports the accel stuff?

Just wondering if anybody ever did any testing.

I might do some timing tests on it myself. It would be nice to standardize
across platforms here, and if we get rid of SVGALib and use /dev/fb that
gives us more options in the future to move to other platforms running Linux
without having to redocument all the code.

Steve