Re: Frequent computer crashes during VC switch

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Wed 10 Apr 2002 - 17:16:17 IDT

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Karel Kulhavy wrote:

> Hello
>
> I use various programs and various versions of svgalib. They have one thing in common.
>
> They have to be run only when noone other is logged on the machine.
>
> Because they sometimes crash my computer. I have got ATI All In Wonder Pro (with Mach64 chip)
> but I guess it's not the problem of the driver but of svgalib.
>
> The crsahes include:
> a) I leave the program to settle down, switch to a text mode, leave the things to settle down, switch back.
>  My monitor powersaves and mp3's stop playing. alt-sysrq-b doesn't work (although I have compiled-in my magic
>  sysrq key). I just RESET and wait 5 minutes for fsck
> b) The same as a) but instead of graphics mode I get text mode which should not be there. I have to kill the program
>   externally as soon as possible because otherwise it usually goes downhill pretty fast and I usually cook up the kernel :-)
> c) "This should not happen write matan@svgalib.org" messages after a console switch to text mode and back

This means you are using an old svgalib (up to 1.9.4, or
1.4.2.pre.20000331). A few bugs were fixed in the rage.c driver since
then, so it might not happen with a recent svgalib. Please test and tell
me.

> I am writing a svgalib application. Is there a way ho to write the program to be sure this will not happen? Or is it caused
> by svgalib and thus I am not able to influence it in my program?

This is probably caused by svgalib, so there is not much to do in your
app. You can prevent VC switching, since the problem seems to be
related to console switching, but it is not a good solution.