Re: Mouse filehandle (but the filehandle may change during a VC

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Wed 10 Apr 2002 - 17:33:04 IDT

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Karel Kulhavy wrote:

> In man mouse_init_return_fd there is written:
> "(but the filehandle may change during a VC switch)"
>
> Is this real or are you joking?

This is real. When a VC switch occurs svgalib closes the mouse device to
enable other programs to use the mouse. When switching back, svgalib
reopens the device. There is no assurance that the same fd will be used.

> Does this mean I have to check every VC switch and recall mouse_init_return_fd to regain
> an up-to-date version of the filehandle?

I guess you have to. This should not be too hard to do with
vga_runinbackground(VGA_GOTOBACK).

> My program runs in a big select loop and waits on numerous descriptors (keyboard, mouse, sockets,...)
> I have to have an up-to-date mouse descriptor for the program to work.
>
> Shall I ignore this and will this be removed in future versions of man pages?

I don't think it will. Unless you can find a way to ensure that
subsequent opens of the device will use the same fd.

> I use a normal stdin keyboard, i. e. keyboard is not in raw mode. Is there a way how to catch a VT switch in
> this case? Or do I have to rewrite my program into raw keyboard mode?

See man vga_runinbackground.