Frequent computer crashes during VC switch

Search this archive.

From: Karel Kulhavy (clock@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz)
Date: Mon 08 Apr 2002 - 21:29:01 IDT

Hello

I use various programs and various versions of svgalib. They have one thing in common.

They have to be run only when noone other is logged on the machine.

Because they sometimes crash my computer. I have got ATI All In Wonder Pro (with Mach64 chip)
but I guess it's not the problem of the driver but of svgalib.

The crsahes include:
a) I leave the program to settle down, switch to a text mode, leave the things to settle down, switch back.
   My monitor powersaves and mp3's stop playing. alt-sysrq-b doesn't work (although I have compiled-in my magic
   sysrq key). I just RESET and wait 5 minutes for fsck
b) The same as a) but instead of graphics mode I get text mode which should not be there. I have to kill the program
    externally as soon as possible because otherwise it usually goes downhill pretty fast and I usually cook up the kernel :-)
c) "This should not happen write matan@svgalib.org" messages after a console switch to text mode and back

This is done by zgv and numerous other programs. It is independent on zgv version. I have checked some older one and also the
latest zgv.

I am writing a svgalib application. Is there a way ho to write the program to be sure this will not happen? Or is it caused
by svgalib and thus I am not able to influence it in my program?

Clock