Race caused by vc switch

Search this archive.

From: Karel Kulhavy (clock@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz)
Date: Mon 08 Apr 2002 - 21:38:37 IDT

Hello

When my keayboard is not in raw mode, VT switch may be performed during time I write
into graphics memory.

For example, my_graph_mem=vga_getgraphmem();
memcpy(my_graph_mem, buffer, 1024);

But when I am in the middle of the writing there is a danger of race.
Is the mechanism that prevents race (blocking in case of any graphics operation) reliable
in this case? How does the blocking work? Is it blocking all svgalib primitives?

Are copyings done by user using memcpy also caught up or do they result in a crash?

Clock