Re: VESA 1024x768 modes?

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Sat 10 Nov 2001 - 00:17:58 IST

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Tim Butler wrote:

> Please help!I desparately need to run SVGAlib in 1024x768.
>
> I get a picture if I force SVGAlib to use the VESA driver, vgatest gives
> me modes up to 800x600, but I NEED a 1024x768 mode.

I know that at least recent matrox bioses only have up to 800x600 modes
in bios, so if you your card's bios, there is no help. Please run the
program vbetest (in lrmi-0.6m subdirectory), which lists all available
vesa modes.

> I'm using svgalib 1.4.3.I have an NVidia GeForce2 MX graphics card with
> 32MB of RAM connected to a Digital Flat Panel monitor.The setup works
> with X (at 1024x768) and I've added the relevant mode stuff to
> /etc/vga/libvga.config:
>
> HorizSync 30.1 50
> VertRefresh 58 62
> modeline "1024x768" 65 1024 1048 1184 1344 768 771 777 806
>
> -----
>
> If I let SVGAlib autodetect my card it uses the NV3 driver.
> Unfortunately the driver has the wrong amount of memory hard coded into
> the driver.I got a picture (using vgatest) at 1024x768 but it was off
> centre and displayed only in tones of blue and brown.
>
> I updated nv3.c with the amount of memory on my card, recompiled, and now
> the picture displays off centre and only in tones of blue (no brown).I
> also tried updating nv3.c with some code from the 1.9.12 release, but I'm
> still stuck with the same problem.

That's intresting. Does the same thing happen in all color depths?
Can you try with a CRT monitor, to see if it happens the same?
Can you send me (not to the list) a photo of the wrong vgatest image?
Does XFree86 (not nvidia's driver) work ok?