Re: Re[2]: Missing vgagl

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Sat 10 Nov 2001 - 00:10:35 IST

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, ASA wrote:

> Onmy  Debian system, even after saying: make install libraries are placed
> in/usr/local/lib  instead  of  /usr/lib  so my gcc cannot find them while
> linking.Moreover,  make  install  erases svga libraries in /usr/lib so if
> I'llmake  links  /such  as usr/lib/libvga* -> /usr/local/lib/libvga* they
> would work only before another svgalib compilaton.
>
> Keep it in mind. I consider that is not bug bot close to it. Maybe we must
> have documented optionto set installation path or install it to the place
> where similar versions was resided before.

I think installing (by default) in /usr/local/lib is reasonable, and
that distributions should include this directory in ld.so.conf, since
this is where any library you install not from source should go.

The fix is for make install to check if this directory is in
/etc/ld.so.conf, and if not, then add it there.
If someone knows how to do it in a makefile, please tell me, or send me
a patch.