Re: svgalib and shared memory

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Sat 10 Nov 2001 - 00:23:42 IST

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Dr. Michael Weller wrote:

> There is no such function in svgalib as your application is not supposed
> to fiddle with it. Svgalib should detect it and you application shall work
> on various cards and notdeal itself with such technical details. Some
> driver might have debugging or special setup options which would allow to
> force using a certain address. I don't know if this is the case for S3.
>
> Now, theoretically svgalib could support multiple screensand have some
> way to select (either from the application or from environment / config
> file) the card to use. AFAIK (but see my first statement), there is no
> such feature in svgalib.

Actually, this is exactly how it works in svgalib-1.9. The config file
selects which video card to use (either with chipset line, or with pci
position, if there are more than one of the same chipset), and the
environment variable SVGALIB_CARD selects which config file to use
(effectively, which video card to use).