Re: svgalib and shared memory

Search this archive.

From: Dr. Michael Weller (eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de)
Date: Fri 02 Nov 2001 - 16:54:08 IST

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Nedzad Siljak wrote:

> hi!
>
> I'm using a shared memory S3 graphic adapter. My Problem is, that I'm
> not able to set vga_setdisplaystart. additional the method of the
> physicalscreen and virtualscreen doesn't work. How am I able to set the
> displaystart, because I want to use multiple physical screens for fast
> applications.

I'm not involved in current svgalib development, however, I've think
you are confusing terms here.

vga_setdisplaystart() sets the start of the displayed memory region ON THE
SVGA CARD. It has nothing to do with where a shared memory segment of the
card appears in the physical memory of the main cpu. Especially it doesn't
deal with the fact if the SVGA card is able to map its control registers
into a shared memory segment, s.t. you can use more than one such card.

There is no such function in svgalib as your application is not supposed
to fiddle with it. Svgalib should detect it and you application shall work
on various cards and not deal itself with such technical details. Some
driver might have debugging or special setup options which would allow to
force using a certain address. I don't know if this is the case for S3.

Now, theoretically svgalib could support multiple screens and have some
way to select (either from the application or from environment / config
file) the card to use. AFAIK (but see my first statement), there is no
such feature in svgalib.

Maybe some other graphics lib, frame buffer etc.. has features in that
direction?

Sorry,
Michael.

--