shared lib files

Search this archive.

From: James Kennedy (jsquarek@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon 02 Apr 2001 - 21:11:05 IST

As I understand Linux documentation, files such as

     ../svgalib-1.4.2/libvga.so.1.4.2

are the shared object libraries for various programs to use.

Yet,
     ../svgalib-1.4.2/vga.o

seems to be the shared library that is actually used with svga programs.

Is there some simple relationship between the two?

Will it always be o.k. to utilize vga.o instead of
                                            libvga.so.1.4.2    ?

I hope this doesn't seem to be a really stupid question, but it is a real one for me as a person who is still learning linux as well as how to use the svgalib.