Re: shared lib files

Search this archive.

From: Jay Link (jlink@ilbbs.com)
Date: Mon 02 Apr 2001 - 21:37:09 IST

> As I understand Linux documentation, files such as
>
>      ../svgalib-1.4.2/libvga.so.1.4.2
>
> are the shared object libraries for various programs to use.

This part is correct.

>      ../svgalib-1.4.2/vga.o

However, vga.o is merely an object file used in the construction of the
library referenced above. Don't use it! It's incomplete, and must be
"melted" together with several other object files to form SVGAlib.

To use SVGAlib within a program, you should link to the dynamic library by
using the -lvga command line flag during the compilation of your program.

For example:

  gcc -o example example.c -lvga