Re: SVGAlib mods

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Thu 04 Jan 2001 - 10:57:28 IST

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Greg Abbas wrote:

> I'm writing because I have an addition that I'd like to make to the
> SVGAlib code, and I'm wondering whether I can get it into the official
> source code tree. Is it in CVS somewhere? Do the primary authors like to
> review new code before it's checked in?

There is no CVS of svgalib. The main reasons for that are that I don't
know how to use CVS, and that there is hardly any development going on,
except for what I am doing (at least as far as I know). If you have an
improvement for svgalib, than make sure you did your changes to the
latest pre-release of svgalib (either 1.4.3 or 1.9.*, as you prefer),
and send a patch to me or to the list. I usually apply such patches and
they are in the main source from the next pre-release.

> So far, I don't have any heavy-duty ideas to implement, I just want to
> make the stdin/stdout/stderr tweaking in vga_console.c optional, so an
> application that's running in an xterm on a remote display (for
> instance) can use SVGAlib to render to the console display without
> messing up its file descriptors. I've already tested the concept, but I
> don't have anything ready to check in yet.

Is it similar to what novccontrol does? If I understand correctly, then
the program you run will display on the remote computer, not on the
computer running the X server and displaying the xterm. Is that what you
mean?