Re: SVGAlib vs Framebuffer

Search this archive.

From: Sentient Real Time Systems Ltd (xcprod@xcprod.com)
Date: Sat 09 Dec 2000 - 14:46:29 IST

> > Hi there!
> >
> > I am currently using a framebuffer because X does not (?yet?) support my =
> > new GFX-card(Hercules 3D Prophet II MX). I tried to run SVGAlib programs =
> > but it failed returning to textmode. So I tried it again using the VesaTe=
> > xt option but the results were the same. Changing the value of VesaSave d=
> > idn't work either.
> >
> > If anybody knows what to do here, I would be very grateful.
> >
> > Bye
>
> There is a setting in the svgalib config file which allows svgalib to
> work on top of the frame buffer. Sorry I cannot remember where the
> config file is off hand or what the name of the setting is. I'll look it
> up when I get back to my machine later tonight. In the mean time if you
> want to try and find it yourself, its the setting that refers to the
> chipset and you sould find it in the source as fbdev (I think).
>
> Regards
> Sergio

In the svgalib config file

	/etc/vga/libvga.config

add the setting

	chipset FBDev

put this in the section that contains the other
chipset definition such as "chipset VGA". Ensure
that no other chipset is selected (they should all
be commented out with a # char as the first char
of the line). I have done this and been able to
run X (using the frame buffer device driver) and
SVGALIB on a notebook with an otherwise unsupported
S3 chipset.

Matan :
	Could you please add "chipset FBDev" to
	"libvga.config"	in the standard svgalib
	distribution package. This took me an age to
	figer out and would help newbies since they
	could just uncomment the setting and try it
	without understanding much about svgalib
	itself.

Regards
Sergio