Re: first post

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Sun 05 Nov 2000 - 19:06:08 IST

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, Tom Nicholson Local wrote:

> Greetings everyone, and sorry but my first post here is regarding some
> problems I had installing and compiling on Mandrake 7.1. I'm doing this in
> the hope that by documenting it we will help someone else. On the web
> mailing list archive I saw that my problems were nearly the same as another
> post. A thank-you to Matan Ziv-Av for the solution.
>
> ./sample: error in loading shared libraries: libvga.so.1: cannot open shared
> object file: no such file or directory

svgalib installs by default the libraries to /usr/local/lib. It might be
that the directory does not exist, so create it (the same as with
/usr/local/include). It might also happen that /usr/local/lib is not in
/etc/ld.so.conf, so ld-linux does not find the libraries at run time. In
that case add it to the config file.
make install (by default) removes old libraries from /lib and
/usr/lib. After removing or installing new libraries ldconfig must be
run. The makefile runs it, but only if it is in your PATH. In some
cases, logging in a a normal user and then using su, instead of su -
does not add the sbin directories to your PATH, so it does not run.

> 1) that Mandrake (or RedHat) moved the location of the library from where
> svgalib is expected to be; or symlinks moved where they're not supposed to
> be; or

no.

> 2) I'm dealing with a libc5 vs. libc6 issue

no.

> This wouldn't compile at all. gcc said there were no declarations for TEXT
> and G320x200x256. I found that my vga.h was something different from
> svgalib's vga.h so I put the svgalib vga header file in the /root directory

Can you find out from what package the other vga.h was?