Text mode support?

Search this archive.

From: Marty Ross (MartyR@pos.co.il)
Date: Sun 05 Nov 2000 - 17:27:25 IST

Hello,

I've got thousands of lines of DOS code to port to Linux that makes heavy
use of VGA "text mode" and other low level DOS/BIOS architecture / calls
(including loading fonts, setting attributes, and reading keystroke
scan-codes).

At first, I thought for sure that SVGALIB would save me, but now after
playing with it a little bit, I don't see that it has ANY support for text
modes (e.g. standard 80x25 text mode)!  Is this true?

I just want to have direct access to text mode memory, including attributes,
etc.  I also want keyboard access, including raw scan codes, etc.

For output, am I going to need to use the "undocumented" "console_ioctl()"
calls and perform brute-force direct and uncoordinated access to video
memory myself?

And for input, it appears

Any suggestions or references appreciated,

-- Marty Ross