Re: Matrox G200 in SVGA ?

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Thu 31 Aug 2000 - 22:39:53 IDT

> With all this dicussion of Matrox and SGVA I must ask....
> Has anyone built a driver, or are you using VESA BIOS ?
>
> I have svga (kinda) ported to my own little OS, which isn't Linux.
> I have a lab of 15 Hp machines with G200-AGP systems.If there is
> want for a svga driver, I would be willing to help "facilitate" it.
> I have a strong need to a simple (enters SVGA modes, hardware blit
> acceleration not required) SVGALIB driver.
>
> I emailed Matan and he said it shouldn't be too hard to read the
> X11 sources and borrow from there.Well, I read the sources and

I hope I did not say that recently - the databook is available from
matrox, so it should be used to write a driver. The X11 source still can
help, though.

> got scared of the compute_best_timing() routine in X11 for the
> G200.Anyone else feel up to the task?  I would be willing to

You should not need to find the timing. svgalib does it for you.
I suggest that you use the 3.3.6 code, rather than the 4.0 code, and use
my driver writing howto, which gives simple instructions.