Re: Matrox G200 in SVGA ?

Search this archive.

From: Chris Purnell (cjp@oit.net)
Date: Fri 01 Sep 2000 - 15:55:14 IDT

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 01:06:38PM -0500, UNIX savy Brian Witt wrote:

> With all this dicussion of Matrox and SGVA I must ask....
> Has anyone built a driver, or are you using VESA BIOS ?

> I have svga (kinda) ported to my own little OS, which isn't Linux.
> I have a lab of 15 Hp machines with G200-AGP systems.  If there is
> want for a svga driver, I would be willing to help "facilitate" it.
> I have a strong need to a simple (enters SVGA modes, hardware blit
> acceleration not required) SVGALIB driver.

> I emailed Matan and he said it shouldn't be too hard to read the
> X11 sources and borrow from there.  Well, I read the sources and
> got scared of the compute_best_timing() routine in X11 for the
> G200.  Anyone else feel up to the task?  I would be willing to
> maintain the code (and test it), but I don't have the time to
> decipher X11 (though it looks well structured).  Ask me about
> scheduling and ethernet device drivers, but not graphics cards.

The VESA driver was not good enough for what I'm using svgalib for
(I need 1600x1200x24).  So I was going to write a Matrox driver but
I took one look at the XF86 sources and freaked.  I ended up using
the linux frame-buffer device.  The linux kernel sources is another
place to look for example code.

I would be willing to help anyone write a native Matrox driver for
svgalib but I'm not going to take the initiative with it.

--
Christopher John Purnell  | A friend in need's a friend in deed
http://www.lost.org.uk/   | A friend with weed is better