RE: SVGALIB + LYNX

Search this archive.

From: Jay Link (jlink@interlink-bbs.com)
Date: Sun 09 Apr 2000 - 04:12:09 IST

Hello, Ghazan Haider:

> If such a product exists... a graphic www browser that doesnt need X..
> pls tell me.

I'm unaware of any. Someone suggested something called "Arena" (or maybe
"Athena"?) to me once, but for some reason it didn't work out. Can't
remember why.

> Maybe Netscape will release an svgalib version?

Ha, ha, ha!  :-)  Don't hold your breath. I've been sending emails to Marc
Andreessen for several years suggesting that very idea, and he doesn't
even bother to respond. I'm sure he gets lots of emails, but... I kinda
knew him at the University of Illinois, the punk! (This is back when I
wanted to be a professional pilot, and only used computers as a hobby).

But now that Netscape wants to jump on the "Open Source" bandwagon, maybe
we'll see an SVGAlib version of Navigator after all. Of course, they'll
claim it was all their idea...

Anyway, I don't think it would be too terribly difficult to create your
own, especially now that Matan -- bless him -- has made FreeType 2.0
available for SVGAlib. You could probably hack Lynx, as you suggested.

-J