Re: fonts

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Sun 14 Nov 1999 - 22:26:31 IST

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, ivan wrote:

> At 11:03 14/11/99 +0200, Matan Ziv-Av wrote:
> >* A graphical browser: no more than lynx with tables, frames and
> >  imagemaps.
> >* Wysiwyg word processor, but including right to left support, which
> >  will probably not interest most of the readers of tjis list.
>
> evitcartta etiuq eb dlouw siht gnitnemelpmi fo egnellahc eht enigami dluohs i

Actually, you don't understand the problem. If all I wanted was to have
everything rtl, it was easy, but In hebrew, the text is rtl, but the
numbers (and words in latin alphabet inserted) are left to right, which
makes for a really big mess.

> provided it was a switchable on/off feature - i'd be interested in working
> with you on this project.

It is, but I did not make myself clear: these projects are programs that
I'd like to see, and might even find myself writing in the future, if
there will be no choice. I don't have any single line of code written,
or even some concrete plans to start. So if you want, you should start
any of this projects, and I might join you.

> the browser project is appealing also - my network coding knowledge isn't
> real good but this would be a good opportunity to fix that problem :)
>
> i'd expect lynx would be a good base to build from ?

I see three possibilities:
Use lynx code (the most granular. start with having lynx doing exactly
the same thing, but display to svgalib, instead of ncurses, then start
adding features.)
Use mozilla render engine (whatever its name is right now).
Write your own renderer.

> another project that i had considered is a decent news reader that includes
> in-line image display or will launch an external viewer (zgv?) - i was
> thinking of adapting slrn. the end result i'd hope would be a newsreader
> similar in features and appearance to newsxpress.

I think pine has the ability to do that. It does launch external
viewers (using mailcap). You just need to write a script that will
uudecode and then run zgv).