Re: ATI Rage 128

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (zivav@CS.bgu.ac.il)
Date: Thu 07 Oct 1999 - 12:28:35 IST

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Andrew Gormanly wrote:

>  Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the case that there is no X (at
> least no xfree86) driver for this chipset yet, for the same reason, i.e.
> ATI's utter unhelpfulness with the specs? The framebuffer X-server is
> usable, though.

There is a SuSE X server for rage128, and it will be folded into XFree86
in the next release. I understand that SuSE have no problem with the
source (as they do give it to the XFree86 project), they just don't want
to bother with the source release.

>  I suggest gettingon to ATI about this, ignoring all their flak about
> it being up to the xfree/svga people to provide drivers, and mentioning
> the linux (X) drivers provided by ATI's competition -- 3dfx, S3, NVIDIA.
> It's the only way we can change their stubborn atitude....

I suggest buying supported cards (V3 and TNT are supported by both X, 3d
accel and svgalib).

--
Matan Ziv-Av                          matan@svgalib.org