Re: Banshee with framebuffer device and svgalib (was Re: Voodoo Banshee 16MB AGP)

Search this archive.

From: G. Gregory (ggregory@bitbox.co.uk)
Date: Fri 23 Apr 1999 - 11:23:03 IDT

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Tony Nugent wrote:

> But beware about using the framebuffer text modes at bootup and then
> using any svgalib utilities - you'll loose your text consoles in a
> black blizzard  :-)
>
> However, I have just located the "fbset" utility, which I have yet to
> play around with - it seems that this utility will be able to reset
> the framebuffer video modes at any time I choose... which means that I
> will (should) be able to restore them if they do get screwed up.
>
> It seems that the code for this utility is small... it might be worth
> the trouble for someone to have a look at with a view to using some of
> it's core routines in the svgalib detect-mode and restore-mode code to
> allow it to cope with the new fb device in a graceful manner.

fbset doesnt work with VESA VGA text modes. These require a call in real
mode to change res :-( But the save and restore text mode programs in
SVGAlib work great if you use the LRMI VESA driver.

Graeme

--
Graeme Gregory                          | "god is a number you cannot
ggregory@bitbox.co.uk                   | count to, you are posthuman