Banshee with framebuffer device and svgalib (was Re: Voodoo Banshee 16MB AGP)

Search this archive.

From: Tony Nugent (Tony.Nugent@usq.edu.au)
Date: Fri 23 Apr 1999 - 07:58:41 IDT

(This should really have been posted into the linux-x11 mailing list.
However, I have something to add than just a reply to this
question...)

On Thu Apr 22 1999 at 09:20, "Craig D. Jensen" wrote:

> Just installed the Voodoo Banshee.  Has anyone found an xserver which will
> allow at least *some* of the features of this card?  I can get X to start,
> but only in 16 colors with an *unsupported device* driver.   :(

There is a 3Dfx XFree86 driver for it now.  Works great!

(I have a PCI CreativeLabs 16Mb Banshee - wow, awesome card).

You'll find the driver and lots of great information for these cards
here:

	http://glide.xxxedgexx.com/

> Thanks much

No problem.

BTW, (to keep this relevant to this mailing list) - work in being done
on Banshee chipset support for svgalib.

And the 2.2.x kernel framebuffer device works great with it too!  (And
at some very high resolutions!)

But beware about using the framebuffer text modes at bootup and then
using any svgalib utilities - you'll loose your text consoles in a
black blizzard  :-)

However, I have just located the "fbset" utility, which I have yet to
play around with - it seems that this utility will be able to reset
the framebuffer video modes at any time I choose... which means that I
will (should) be able to restore them if they do get screwed up.

It seems that the code for this utility is small... it might be worth
the trouble for someone to have a look at with a view to using some of
it's core routines in the svgalib detect-mode and restore-mode code to
allow it to cope with the new fb device in a graceful manner.

Cheers
Tony