Re: A few questions

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@arava.co.il)
Date: Sun 01 Nov 1998 - 20:43:59 IST

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> 1. Is there an archive for this mailing list?

No, as far as I can tell. But try Dejanews for linux.dev.svgalib, some
of the messages are shared.

> 2. Is the RIVA128 (NV3) driver in active development?
>  I'm asking because some parts don't work for me and
>  I have some suggestions on how to improve it.

Well, I wrote it, I don't _actively_ develop it, since I don't see any
necessary changes, except for acceleration which I don't intend to do.
I'd like to here your suggestion though.

>  The next release of SVGATextMode will use the clockchip
>  of the NV3 and so assuming that the VGA clocks always
>  work isn't correct. So not even 320x200 works.

I need to know more before I comment on this. Where can I find
SVGATextMode with NV3 support?

> 3. The mapping of the linear frame buffer seems a
>  bit convuluted. Why are you allocating memory and
>  the mmaping over it straight away. Or does valloc
>  do something else?

For an explanation, see a post with subject "funny mmap() behaviour"
By Christian Groessler on 18 September, either to linux-svgalib, or to
linux-kernel

> 4. /dev/mem is opened in several places and yet there
>  is __svgalib_mem_fd? Oversight or is there a reason?

I only see three:
One in vga.c (for setting __svgalib_mem_fd).
One in lrmi.c, since lrmi is a library independent of svgalib, and as
such does not use svgalib's internal variables.
And one in gvga6400.c which I won't try to explain, but probably is

Matan Ziv-Av.        zivav@cs.bgu.ac.il