Re: A few questions

Search this archive.

From: Martijn van Oosterhout (v3100411@student.anu.edu.au)
Date: Mon 02 Nov 1998 - 15:13:02 IST

Matan Ziv-Av wrote:
> > 1. Is there an archive for this mailing list?
> No, as far as I can tell. But try Dejanews for linux.dev.svgalib, some
> of the messages are shared.
Thanks for that, I'll have a look. Found it, though dejanews is being
a bit of a pain.

> Well, I wrote it, I don't _actively_ develop it, since I don't see any
> necessary changes, except for acceleration which I don't intend to do.
> I'd like to here your suggestion though.
It's just that vga_setlinearaddressing doesn't work at all for me and
I can't figure out why. I got around it by using vgagl.

> >  The next release of SVGATextMode will use the clockchip
> >  of the NV3 and so assuming that the VGA clocks always
> >  work isn't correct. So not even 320x200 works.
> I need to know more before I comment on this. Where can I find
> SVGATextMode with NV3 support?

Umm. He doesn't have a website. I only have the source (pre1.9) because
I wrote the nv3 support for it. I have no idea where to get hold of it.
I could put it on my web page if you're interested.

The problem is that the textmode I'm in is 132x50 which has a 40Mhz
pixel clock. Svgalib when switching to 320x200 doesn't notice this
and so I get a mode with a 112Hz refresh rate. I partially fixed this
by commenting out the lines that called the VGA setmode code.

> For an explanation, see a post with subject "funny mmap() behaviour"
> By Christian Groessler on 18 September, either to linux-svgalib, or to
> linux-kernel
I'll look into it.

> > 4. /dev/mem is opened in several places and yet there
> >  is __svgalib_mem_fd? Oversight or is there a reason?
> I only see three:
> One in vga.c (for setting __svgalib_mem_fd).
> One in lrmi.c, since lrmi is a library independent of svgalib, and as
> such does not use svgalib's internal variables.
> And one in gvga6400.c which I won't try to explain, but probably is

I also see it twice in vgamisc.c basically for mapping the framebuffer.
I noticed this when it got into an infinite loop opening and mmaping
/dev/mem.

It the framebuffer support new or something?

I also have two more general questions:

1. Can I have svgalib search for a new console when starting up while
leaving the text output where it was. It would make debugging a lot
easier.

2. I think your *secret* snapshot area is on altavista. Something that
looks like it I found on www.uni-essen.de. Is that it?

3. Also it seems that the default palette is all black. Is this just me
or what? It took me a long time before I figured that one out.

4. Also you noted a question whether the card could do 24Bit colour.
Yes it can, but only with 4 bytes per pixel

Thanks for your reply...

Martijn van Oosterhout
Australia