Re: preparing svgalib for gdb

Search this archive.

From: Mithras (mithras@dhp.com)
Date: Thu 22 Oct 1998 - 19:31:23 IST

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Christian Groessler wrote:
> >No, I missed that one.  I've removed all the '-s'es now and uncommented
> 'strip' in the top Makefile, but I still can't step into any library
> >functions (while I *can* step through test programs).  What else do I need
> to do to run the debugger on the library functions?
>
> I just checked, if I have a libvga.so compiled with -g I *can* for example
> "step" into vga_init(), which is already in the lib.
> But when vga_init() calls __svgalib_open_devconsole() a "step" steps over
> it ?? Hmm.
> A workaround is to set a breakpoint to __svgalib_open_devconsole() then it
> will break
> at the first instruction of this function. Cumbersome, not nice, but works.
> FYI, I used gdb4.16.

I'm not stepping into vga_init(); instead I get
38          vga_init();
(gdb) s
0x40092b24 in strcmp (p1=0x80484ea "_DYNAMIC", p2=0x804860e "vga_init") at
.../sysdeps/generic/strcmp.c:44
.../sysdeps/generic/strcmp.c:44: No such file or directory.
which suggests to me I still don't have debugging information for
libvga.so, but information exists for libc.so, though not its source code.

I've produced diffs of my modified Makefiles so you could compare them
with your own.  And I'm using gdb4.17.  Oh, and it occurs to me that I'm
using the svgalib sources from Redhat's 5.0 distribution.

thanks in advance,

ben taylor