configuring svgalib for ET6000

Search this archive.

From: Mithras (mithras@dhp.com)
Date: Sat 24 Oct 1998 - 12:35:44 IST

I've gotta admit it; I'm out of my league.  I've been trying to configure
my card for SVGA, but I don't know what those structures in et6000.reg
really mean, and I don't know what a DAC is - yet.

what works: vgatest fun 3d *test testgl spin

what doesn't: bg_test testlinear testaccel accel

The trouble is I'm either not getting all the resolutions or capabilities
my card is capable of.  Vgatest doesn't report anything above 800x600x16,
testaccel can't get 640x480x256, accel reports 'No acceleration
supported.' and testlinear cannot set linear addressing.

I've created an et4000.regs file with tseng3.exe, which says '/* Unknown
HiColor dac (64) detected */', and examined my card (a VideoLogic
Grafixstar 600), which doesn't appear to have a DAC chip.  Perhaps the DAC
for the ET6000 is built into the main chip?  I haven't been able to find
any more technical information on my card at either VideoLogic or Tseng
Lab's websites.  I've tried tlivesa.com & SciTech's Display Doctor which
changed the results of et4000.regs, but didn't produce a valid DAC setting
(which doesn't surprise me).  I would try editting my et4000.regs file,
but I feel I don't nearly understand it well enough.

I thought I might walk through the library functions myself, even in my
ignorance of video devices, but (as alleged earlier) haven't been able to
get gdb to work on them.. !?  I'm eager to do as much as I can to get svga
working on my system, but I feel I need a pointer or hint now to proceed..

thanks in advance,

ben taylor