Re: Quake/MS Intellimouse/SVGAlib problem

Search this archive.

From: Brion Vibber (brion@pobox.com)
Date: Sun 23 Aug 1998 - 00:28:25 IDT

David Goodlad wrote:

> 1.  It's a serial, so that suggestion doesn't apply.
> 2.  Yes, it's pointing to /dev/mouse which is a symbolic link to /dev/ttyS0 (my mouse device)
> 3.  Yep, gpm *IS* killed.
> 4.  Nope, no old versions any more.

So far so good...

> 5.  It's version 1.1A.  It does work in intellimouse mode in both gpm and X, and I *CAN* get it to work with gpm -R and then using mouse gpm and mdev /dev/gpmdata.  But, that's way too choppy.

Odd, I never could get that to work for my PS/2 Intellimouse (also
v1.1A). That's why I added the driver...

> I did the output redirection, checked it, and no errors.  The mouse just doesn't work (i move it, but no response).

Hmm, could you try this (with X and gpm killed so it doesn't get
confused):

  hexdump -e 4/1\ \"%02x\ \"\ \"\\n\" /dev/mouse | tee mouseout

Move the mouse up/down, then left/right, then click each button in turn
(left, wheel, right), then turn the wheel up/down. Send me the output
and I'll compare it to the info I have, it might be doing something
funny, with luck I can find out what. Unfortunately I have no serial
Intellimouse to test with personally so I'm working kind of blind
here... :(

Oh, and are you using the 'ms3' or 'pnp' mouse type for gpm? If it's
sending PNP crap that might be confusing the svgalib driver (but then
you should be getting garbage movement, not no movement).

-- brion vibber (brion@pobox.com)