Re: Quake/MS Intellimouse/SVGAlib problem

Search this archive.

From: David Goodlad (dgoodlad@junction.net)
Date: Sat 22 Aug 1998 - 04:55:54 IDT

Brion Vibber wrote:

> David Goodlad wrote:
> >
> > Hey people... I've got a problem with svgalib.  I've got the latest
> > version (the one with intellimouse support), but I can't get the mouse
> > to work.  I've got "mouse IntelliMouse" in my /etc/vga/libvga.config
> > file, but whenever I go into quake (what else? heheh), the mouse won't
> > work.  Any suggestions?
>
> Here are a few things you might try:
>
> 1. Is this a serial mouse? If it's PS/2 you should specify "IMPS/2".
>
> 2. Is the mouse device set properly? Make sure that libvga.config is
> looking at the right device and/or /dev/mouse points to the right
> device.
>
> 3. Have you tried it with gpm explicitly killed? (killall gpm)
>
> 4. Make sure you don't have an old version of svgalib floating around
> somewhere... make install should get rid of them all but to be sure run
> "ldconfig -p | grep libvga" and see if old versions show up.
>
> 5. If it's still not working, could you tell me the version number of
> the mouse (should be on a sticker on the bottom), and whether it works
> in Intellimouse mode in X and gpm? Feel free to throw in any other info
> that you think might be relevant (esp. version numbers of the distro,
> the kernel, gpm, and X).
>
> Oh, and _please_ include the _exact_ wording of any error messages you
> may receive and a description of the malfunction (does it not do
> anything, or does it go haywire when you move the mouse?). You can get
> the error messages out of quake by running "./squake 2>&1 | tee output",
> then look at the file "output" when you exit. The svgalib initialization
> messages should be near the top.
>
> I also recommend trying the mousetest demo program. It produces less
> output and loads a bit faster than quake. ;)
>
> -- brion vibber (brion@pobox.com)

1.  It's a serial, so that suggestion doesn't apply.
2.  Yes, it's pointing to /dev/mouse which is a symbolic link to /dev/ttyS0
(my mouse device)
3.  Yep, gpm *IS* killed.
4.  Nope, no old versions any more.
5.  It's version 1.1A.  It does work in intellimouse mode in both gpm and
X, and I *CAN* get it to work with gpm -R and then using mouse gpm and mdev
/dev/gpmdata.  But, that's way too choppy.

I did the output redirection, checked it, and no errors.  The mouse just
doesn't work (i move it, but no response).

Hope you can help,
David