Re: reset error

Search this archive.

From: Dr. Michael Weller (eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de)
Date: Fri 26 Jun 1998 - 11:20:34 IDT

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Marc RIESS wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm currently using the 2.1.10 version of svgalib, and when
> i use a color mode > 256. When I back to text mode, caracteres
> have been unreadable. This appear with all application,
> I'm in text mode but caracters look like semi-graphics
> the reset fonction don't do anything, it seems the fonction
> vga_reset(TEXT) don't work properly.

Well the function is actually vga_setmode(TEXT), nevertheless it either
points to the card not behaving ET4000 compatible (at least in your
textmode) or a bug in the driver. You should definitely give the 1.2.13
version a try. 1.2.10 is really old. I got a tiny fix for the et4k driver
and will make a new release with it in a few days (just need to make some
more doc changes).

There's no guarantee, but it might help.

> I've a Tseng Labs ET4000/W32i card with 17" monitor.
> Problem appear in vga mode 43 and 25 lines.

You should DEFINITELY avoid non plain VGA textmodes (other than 25x80),
nobody knows how your BIOS screws up the card at bootup to accomplish
these textmodes (well, a really good driver knows, but then..). Also, do
you run SvgaTextmode ? That could result in problems as well.

> If I run X11, when i'm back the screen always bad

Hmm.. I used X on a ET4k for ages w/o a problem. Probably there is
something weird about the card or your textmode or both. As X breaks too,
it is not a sole svgalib problem.

Michael.

--

Michael Weller: eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de, eowmob@ms.exp-math.uni-essen.de,