Strange VESA issue and feature request

Search this archive.

From: Gilbert, John (jgilbert@eosbiotech.com)
Date: Wed 11 Sep 2002 - 04:31:37 IDT

Hello,
I have a Mobility Radeon 7500, and have found a strange bug using the VESA
driver (it doesn't effect the R128 driver). The problem effects XFree86 as
well. I have a program that reads vga_modeinfo->maxlogicalwidth, which
happens to be 4088 at 1600x1200, then calls vga_setlogicalwidth with the
value. The real (virtual) width is then 4080. Other values plugged into
vga_setlogicalwidth seem to be chopped by 8 as well. The R128 driver seems
to work correctly but has other problems (only 1600x1200 and 1280x1024 modes
work on the LCD). If you use XFree86, set the mode to 1600x1200 using the
VESA, and then change resolutions, you get a sliced up screen exactly like
having a logicalwidth off by 8.

I have another problem that requires fixing a feature. I would like to be
able to create programs that draw to the console without a mode change/frame
buffer wipe. It looks like the code to do was in svgalib at one time (see
vga.c lines 1698, and 1869), but it's now broken. I've tried fixing this
myself but was not able to get it to work. It would be  very neat to be able
to write programs that draw graphics on the screen while using vim or
shelling around.

Thanks in advance for any help for the above issues.
John Gilbert
jgilbert@eosbiotech.com