Re: Compiling / topdir / prefix / dstdir / uninstall

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Thu 01 Aug 2002 - 19:02:36 IDT

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Erlend Bergsås Mikkelsen wrote:

> I have recently tried to compile a port for a distribution called
> Crux (www.crux.nu), of Svgalib. What this port does is the very same
> thing ports in the bsds does - compile an application from source.
>
> Doing so with svgalib is harder than it really needs to, because
> when using another topdir than /, it is _hardcoded_ into the binaries,
> and the libraries will look for configuration in this topdir. Is there
> a way of preventing this kind of behavior?
>
> Another issue is the fact that it seems that some of the uninstallation
> of binaries (make uninstall, automaticly done with make install) will
> delete libs in /usr/lib no matter what has been defined as a prefix.
>
> A possible solution to this would be adding a dstdir directive, a simple
> directive to where to install the binaries, manpages and such. I assume
> you know how this works, but yet I do an explanation:
>
> make PREFIX=/usr DSTDIR=/tmp/svgalib install
>
> this should compile all binaries with the prefix being /usr, and configuration
> being /etc, but yet install everything into /tmp/svgalib. It should also
> do ununstallation with /tmp/svgalib as rootdir.
>
> It is very easy to add this kind of features to svgalib. I tried making a
> patch - but since I don't know all about your makefiles and how they are
> structured I found it an almost impossible task to make a failsafe patch.

Unfortunately, nobody seems to really understand the Makefile. I try to
touch it as little as possible, but I will accept patches if they do not
appear wrong, and do not break functionality that I use.

> Another question, which I actually saw in the FAQ, but I'm not sure about
> the answer is: Is SVGALIB alive? I mean it was alive in 99, that don't mean
> it's alive now :)

It is very much alive. Just today I (re-)introduced a feature that will
appear in 1.9.17: background execution support, includeing in 2.4
kernel.