Re: Linux FrameBuffer & RAW keyboard

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Fri 07 Jun 2002 - 20:03:59 IDT

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Roel Baardman wrote:

> I've been using svgalib for a while, and experienced the following
> problems/missing things
>
> -  FrameBuffer support. I think it would be a very good idea to include
> framebuffer support, because it is extremely fast and rather simple to use.
> In this way you can expand the list of supported devices and the programmer
> doensn't have to write its own support for the framebuffer device.

There is already an fbdev driver. It works in 1.9.14, at least on a Mac
with R128.

> -  RAW keyboard handling. I experienced a problem using this. The amount
> of scancodes is to small in my oppinion. I can't use escape codes for
> special keys like 0xe01f. It would be very nice if I could use these.

Svgalib does not use RAW mode, but actually MEDIUMRAW, so you don't see
scancodes, but actually keycodes, as translated by the kernel. Those are
limited to 7 bits, so you have only 128 of them, but if you don't have
more than 128 keys, all you need in order to use the extra keys is to
use something like:

setkeycodes e01f 110

And then 110 is the keycode that svgalib programs see for the key that
has scan code e01f.
You can find which keycodes are unused by studying the output of
dumpkeys.