Re: Browser with SVGAlib

Search this archive.

From: Kevin Quitt (KQuitt@ieeinc.com)
Date: Fri 17 May 2002 - 21:52:08 IDT

"Sergio Masci" <sergio@xcprod.com> wrote:

>Kevin Quitt <KQuitt@ieeinc.com> wrote:
>> Can be found at the URL below.  Works with SVGA lib, but is very
>> slow (on a slow processor).
>
>Please define slow processor? Could you tell us more about the system
>config, type of CPU, speed of CPU, speed of system bus, type of
>graphics card, type of linux distribution, amount of RAM, svgalib version,
>(anything else you might consider pertinant e.g. running poyray in the
>background).

486/33, no FPU (and links uses FP extensively), and 2M free RAM.  65545 in VESA
mode.  Not fast under any circumstances.  Took 10 minutes to start, due to the
calculation of the gamma tables.

On a 586/66 with FPU and 11MB free, it starts up in under two seconds.

>Under fbdev I noticed that the images took much longer to load than under
>X11 and looked grainy in comparison. I assume that under fbdev this
>browser is reducing the colours used by the image and taking its time
>doing it. When viewing a previously viewed image there is no time lag
>(the image appears instantly).

Under the setting menu, the video option will tell you if you're dithering text
and/or graphics.  A 48-bit dither is used, and while it produces good results,
it's not as fast.

--
#include <standard.disclaimer>
 _