Re: Embeddable browser?

Search this archive.

From: Jay Link (jlink@ilbbs.com)
Date: Wed 15 May 2002 - 03:28:12 IDT

> No, that's the part I don't want.  I just want the display-window
> portion and the engine that handles reading HTML, transferring,
> displaying, etc.  I don't need Java or Java script, but they wouldn't
> hurt.

Could you hack Mozilla or Lynx & create your own display code?

I understand there's a Japanese text browser that handles tables better
than Lynx -- maybe you could look this up?

Maybe you could write your own HTML parser -- it can't be THAT hard, if
all you really need is straight HTML. There was a guy that posted some
alpha code to the list a while ago, too, that could render fonts using
FreeType. You could probably splice in elements of ZGV to handle graphics.

Ultimately, though, if your screen width is only 320 pixels, then
virtually any web page you view is going to look skewed, unless your
people will only be viewing special pages designed for your device.