Re: PThreads Q (revised)

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Fri 19 Apr 2002 - 15:17:40 IDT

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, viscous liquid wrote:

> pointed out to me. The conflict is that svgalib is not
> threadsafe. So now let me revise the original Q and
> state it as follow, Is there a way that svgalib could
> be made thread safe? Now Matan has stated how one

svgalib could be made (almost) thread-safe by simple locking of every
(dangerous) vga_ and gl_ command using a mutex. This is not a complete
solution, since one thread might set a video mode, get a linear pointer,
and then go on drawing, without calling any svgalib functions, while
another thread can set another mode, or text mode. This means that
application programmer will need to consider threading issues anyway, so
there is no need to slow down and add complexity to svgalib.
The only possible improvement I see in svgalib's thread issue is in
vgagl - since there is no issue of directly touching the hardware, it
might be useful to go over the gl/ code, to make sure it is thread
safe.