Re: svgalib

Search this archive.

From: Jay Link (jlink@ilbbs.com)
Date: Tue 05 Feb 2002 - 22:47:48 IST

> I'd like to run programs using SVGAlib over a network using a
> SSH-connection.

Unfortunately, this is not possible, and it's never been possible with
SVGAlib. Maybe you are thinking of X?

SVGAlib writes directly to the video card, and as such is unsuitable for
network connections. It writes to console #7 because it cannot write to
your remote video card, and it is not appropriate for SVGAlib to write to
consoles 1-6 since you are not on them.

> I thought that a previous version suported that the graphics
> are calculated over one machine(the SSH-server) and are shown on another
> machine(the SSH-client).

No; sorry. This was never the case.

> I read the new vga_accel manual and I noticed that it doen't have a
> RGB-color selection command. Why ? Many accelerated calculations wil be so
> much better if the can use RGB-colors for their effects. Is this to be
> implented or is there a method to calculate from RGB to BGI and vice versa?

Many of the vgagl functions use RGB, and you can also get 255 RGB values
with straight SVGAlib like so:

   If the VGA_CLUT8 feature is set for the current mode with
   vga_ext_set(3) the r, g, and b values are in the range 0 - 255.

If you have additional questions, you might consider posting to the
SVGAlib list at linux-svgalib@svgalib.org.

Cheers,

-JL