Can a monitor be damaged by using SVGAlib?

Search this archive.

From: Anton Kratz (antonkratz@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri 18 Jan 2002 - 17:52:59 IST

Hi,

I use Linux on a machine equipped with a Riva TNT2, my monitor
is an "iiyama Vision Master Pro 411".

When I execute programs I've written using SVGAlib, and
the monitor switches to another screenmode (say, from my
1024*768 Desktop to G800x600x256), the monitor emits a
strange humming sound while in the new screenmode.

Especially in low screenmodes (G320x200x256) the sound
is quite loud.

My questions are:
- Can a monitor be damaged by using SVGAlib?
- Is it possible to prevent the strange humming sound, that
  the monitor emits?

I'm quite new to SVGAlib, maybe the answer is obvious...

Greetings,
Anton