Re: More on reading .BMPs

Search this archive.

From: Jay Link (jlink@ilbbs.com)
Date: Sat 05 Jan 2002 - 21:24:49 IST

> Maybe it is possible, but I dont think this would be a good idea, because
> BMPs are bitmaps with a palette with indexed colors, and a big array would be
> needed to hold a palette with thousands or millions of colors ?.

Isn't it true, though, that 24-bit .BMPs don't have the palette array
because they simply use three bytes to describe the RGB values of every
pixel? I thought only 8-bit .BMPs had palettes, ala .GIFs.

Maybe the bmptoppm.c code is only capable of handling 256 colors, and
therefore insists on using a palette, but I'm sure it could still be
modified.

-J